Is Pollution Damaging Your Skin?
We are well-versed on the detrimental effects of toxic fumes to the body (with cigarette smoke being the primary culprit).
But have you thought of what effects those same toxic fumes have on your skin?
Pollution has come into the spotlight over the last few years as cosmopolitan areas in most parts of the world become overly congested. Urbanites little realise that pollution has a detrimental effect on skin. Skin conditions ranging from acne to pigmentation stem from pollution.
An article written on www.self.com as to How Pollution is Affecting your Skin revealed the following :-
“ ‘Pollution can cause uneven skin tone, accelerated aging and even skin cancer,’ says Doris Day, M.D. (Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology at New York University’s Langone Medical Center).
The article goes on further to state that:
“A landmark study in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology compared women living in urban and rural environments over 24 years and found that those exposed to increased pollution had more dark spots and wrinkling. ‘The sun isn't the only villain, now that we know how damaging pollution really is,’ says David Bank, M.D. (Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City).
Microscopic specks of smoke, soot, acid and other pollutants are released into the atmosphere from sources like fires, construction sites, cars and power plants. Government regulation has resulted in decreased emissions over the past few decades, but the air surrounding us is still far from pristine.
When that pollution comes into contact with your skin, it doesn't just sit on the surface, griming it up like it would a windshield. These particles' tiny size—sometimes as many as 20 times smaller than pores—allows them to infiltrate deeper layers of the epidermis, causing not only inflammation and dehydration but also a cellular-level reaction that leads to lost elasticity and firmness.
‘Pollution breaks down collagen and the lipid layer in the skin, which impairs skin barrier functions,’ says Zoe Draelos, M.D. (Consulting Professor of Dermatology at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, and author of the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology article: Ageing in a Polluted World.”
Now that we know how pollution affects the skin how do we remedy it?
IN-SPA (at Urban Bliss Wellness Spa) we offer 2 options:
• The Pure Pore Heating Mask can be included in most of our facials. Applied before extraction in a facial, this product not only facilitates with the removal of blackheads and spots but acts as a toxin-mopping agent for pores. It warms up and is a complete de-polluting cleanse that unclogs pores thanks to microscopic marine sponges that trap impurities and toxins.
• The City Life Facial is a Phytomer facial treatment which has been specifically designed to de-pollute the skin - perfectly adapted to city-dwellers and/or smokers! It is ideal for anyone living a stressful life in a high-pollution area. It is perfectly suited to dull, tired and congested skin revealing early fine lines and dark spots. This facial leaves the complexion more even and the skin also regains its freshness. See video of Nonhle Thema experiencing our City Life Facial https://www.instagram.com/p/BWhymSMnro1/?taken-by=nonhle_thema&hl=en
AT HOME the following products are recommended from Phytomer:
• The City Life Cream FACE AND EYE CONTOUR SORBET CREAM is an award-winning product for 2017 which treats tired, polluted and dull skin. This 2-in-1 cream for face and eyes protects and repairs the skin from damage specifically caused by urban pollution: dehydration, signs of fatigue, dark spots and dull complexion. It has a refreshing sorbet texture and intensely moisturizes the skin, restoring all its freshness.
Day after day the signs of fatigue fade away, the complexion is more even and dark spots are less visible.
• The Soufflé Marine Serum (ENERGIZING OXYGENATING SERUM) is a special, fresh and lightweight serum that is a real breath of fresh air with its unique and scientific innovative ingredient ARMÉRIA MARITIMA. This seaside plant has the ability to reverse the effects of cigarette smoke on the skin whilst it confronts everyday pollution. Freed from its dull veil, the complexion is radiant and invigorated.
Tested on 22 women over 28 days the skin is more radiant and strengthened by 86%.
• The Souffle Marine CLEANSING FOAMING CREAM, when coming into contact with water, transforms into an airy foam which protects the skin from pollutants (heavy metals, tobacco, etc.). It treats tired, dull and polluted skin.
How do you know if your skin is affected by pollution?
…If you have tried everything and your skin is still congested, breaking out, dull, showing signs of premature ageing and is pigmented consider that it may be severely affected by pollution. Start off with this simple 3-step approach with the above products twice-a-day: cleanse with Souffle Marine Cleansing Cream followed by Souffle Marine Serum and finish off your routine with City Life Sorbet cream which will form a barrier and protect the skin from harmful pollutants.
The reality is, if you are a city-dweller, there is no getting away from pollution. My suggestion is to have a thorough skin detox. Have two City Life Facials in the first month and then alternate with your regular facial every 3 weeks. Add Souffle Marine serum twice a year into skincare routine. To see the results of the facial check out https://www.instagram.com/p/BWhymSMnro1/?taken-by=nonhle_thema&hl=en